- Occurs most often in 5-16 year olds
- See more often with a family history of sleep walking
- SAFETY is top concern (baby gate at top of stairs, lock the doors and windows, set house alarm)
- Do not wake them up but guide them gently back to bed
- Occurs most often 1-4 year olds
- Will wake up screaming and terrified
- Triggers are going to bed very late or very tired
- Use a soothing voice to guide them back to sleep
- Can use nap time or a quiet time during the day to make sure they are not over exhausted at bedtime
- Can occur as young as 6 months, but most often 3-12 years of age
- Nightmare relates to their developmental stage of life
- Prevent by avoiding violent or scary shows/games
- Turn on lights and provide reassurance when your child wakes up with a nightmare
Follow our FB page for Friday Videos on such topics!
Topic: Sleeping Disorders-11/13/20.